Common home electrical problems

Electrical faults are an extremely common occurrence in homes. If you’re aware that you have an electrical fault, make sure to get it fixed as soon as possible. Having electrical faults is not only nuisance, it can also be extremely dangerous. There are many things that can go wrong with electricity, so it’s important to have regularly scheduled check-ups to ensure your house and your family is safe. We have listed the most common issues and given some tips on what to do to prevent a danger from occurring.

Faulty wiring

Faulty wiring is definitely one of the most common and probably the most dangerous fault. Flickering or dimming lights are also signs that you probably have faulty electrical wiring. The most serious reason for flickering lights is loose wiring. If you ever notice that your lights flicker, contact an electrician immediately, because if the wires are loose, they will most likely cause a house fire sooner or later.

Exposed wires are also dangerous for the safety of you and your family. With exposed wires around your house, you might be putting everyone in the house at a risk of electrocution. Contact an electrician to get them replaced as soon as possible.

Tripping circuit breaker

In many old homes, the circuit breaker trips off more often than in modern houses. This is because older homes are not designed for the modern lifestyle. Today we have many more electrical appliances and use way more power than we did back then. A circuit breaker is designed to protect an electrical circuit from damage if a power overload occurs. So when the circuit breaker is overloaded, it will trip off in order to protect the circuit from being overheated and causing fire. The most common reason for tripping circuit breakers is the usage of high wattage items, such as microwaves and hairdryers, especially when other power consuming items are used on the same source.

A constantly tripping circuit breaker is a sign that you should consider replacing it with a new circuit. You should also be aware of how many devices you can connect at the same time, and which devices you should remove when they are not in use.

Non-functional GFCI outlets

Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) are mini circuit breakers integrated into individual power sockets. These are found in most homes and are especially used in bathrooms and kitchens. Non-functional GFCI devices can cause overheating or even a fire, so if you know that some your outlets don’t have GFCI devices in them, you should get them replaced as soon as possible.

Need residential, commercial or industrial electrical services in Auckland? Northern Lights Lighting and Electrical specialise in all three areas and can help you every hour of the day, 7 days a week. Contact us today for electrical services in all suburbs across Auckland. If you are based in the North Shore, contact your Howick electrician, Takapuna electrician, Browns Bay electrician, Glendowie electrician, and Milford electrician.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *