The Most Common Causes of Electrical Fire At Home

Home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage. Electrical fires can happen due to problems like house wiring, appliance failures, or other mistakes that homeowners commonly make such as overloading electrical sockets and extension leads.

In this blog, we will look at some of the most common causes of electrical fires and how to prevent them.

 

Worn-Out Wiring

How old is your home? Most houses that are 20 years of age & older are likely to have dated wiring, with frayed cords here and there. An outdated wiring doesn’t have the capacity to meed demands of modern technology & energy consumption, hence it frequently causes circuit breaker overloads, power outages, or other serious electrical problems. When you use an appliance with a badly worn-out cord, the cord could send the heat onto combustible surfaces like floors, curtains, and rugs, which then quickly ignites and sparks fire. 

To prevent this, inspect your wires regularly. If the wires are loose, tightening them will give you a lower chance of fire. Always call a qualified Auckland Electrician to inspect your home and replace any old or damaged wiring, or if you need an Auckland house rewire.

 

Old Appliances

That one toaster from the 1960s that your mom used to love may look vintage and sturdy, but it’s probably not safe to use. Many times, electrical fires are caused by dated appliances that have been around for a while. This is because dated appliances are not made in accordance to current safety standards, especially when it comes to materials, construction, and safety regulations. In addition, outdated appliances are more likely to have frayed cords or loose wiring, which is prone to cause electrical sparks as we have discussed above.

To prevent this problem, always inspect your appliances and check for signs of electrical damage. Any appliances that make strange noises or produce a burning smell should be inspected by an expert Auckland electricians. Replace faulty appliances with new models that follow current safety standards.

 

Light Fittings and Fixtures

Lamps, light bulbs, and light fixtures and fittings are another common reason for electrical fires. Installing a bulb with a wattage too high for the lamps and light fixtures is a leading cause of electrical fires. Placing easily-flammable materials, such as cloth or paper over a light bulb is also a common cause. This is because when the bulb gets too hot, the material quickly heats up and ignites, thus causing fire.

In order to protect your home from this problem, make sure to double-check the wattage before installing new light bulbs and do not exceed the recommended wattage. If a light fixture gets too hot when in use, it’s time to replace it. Only use commercial lampshades designed to fit the shape and size of your fixture, and seek the assistance of a professional electricians in Auckland to get the job done.

Even if you follow all the safety precautions and rules, it’s not always possible to prevent all electrical fires. Don’t let a preventable electrical fire ravage your home and risk the lives of your loved ones. Always make sure your electrical system is up to code and safe for use. Every once-in-a-while, get the help from an experienced Electrician Auckland to identify and diagnose electrical-related problems by performing a professional electrical inspection.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *